New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login613455 members (4 yesterday), private messages

dogging.co.uk > Forums > The lounge > Worst Gig / Concert you've ever been too and paid for it too!

See newest message in thread

Worst Gig / Concert you've ever been too and paid for it too!

*agman By *agman   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

@private mail, +add as contact

Ours was most definitely Bob Dylan.

Been a fan of his music for a very long time now.

Paid a lot of good money to go see him in the Town Hall at Liverpool some years ago.

When you consider i paid £3.75 to see Ziggy and the Spiders in 1974 - and over a £100.00 to see Bob Dylan......the difference in excitement, quality and sheer brilliance - all coming from a new act in the 1970's and a very well rehearsed act in the 2000's - was night and day.

Dylan was a funeral noise. A drone. A crap act who never once spoke to the crowd or introduced a song. You had no idea what actual song was being played until maybe a hook line was sang.....then you maybe recognised the tune.

Other than that it was daylight robbery.

The guy sitting next to me actually leaned over and said to me........"Brilliant, isn't he? Best i've ever seen him do".

If that was him at his best........

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

*ohnnyThunder By *ohnnyThunder   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

I love 60s and early 70s Dylan too, but I don't think I'd ever see him live. I'd read somewhere that he doesn't stick to the original melody of most of his songs, making them unrecognisable. That's even worse than when heritage acts try and play a song off their new album. Fuck off lads, stick to the hits!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oonshadow   profile verified by photo (F 8 weeks ago

I've never been to a bad concert, I think a great atmosphere and the fact you sing yourself along with the artist/s means you don't notice a bad performance.

XXX pic...
login to view
By  *Enoch    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M) 8 weeks ago

I'd go along with that. If all you want is a reproduction of the studio release then you might as well stay at home and play your records.

...or is that stream you sounds.

Live performance has never disappointed me.

Except maybe on the odd occasion in bed!

I love my live music as well.

But this particular performance was not him on a good day i can assure you.

Another one was the new Fleetwood Mac.

At the opening Stevie Nicks actually apologised in advance for her bad voice.....she said it had 'cracked'.

So she went on to put in a very very 'uninterested' performance. As you would expect the music was spot on.....but her lack lustre performance and lack of energy was a real dissapointment.

And again, at somewhere north of £120 for a ticket........

XXX pic...
login to view
By  *nnie x    profile verified by photo premium paying member (F 8 weeks ago

Never been a Dylan fan really...

Years ago I went to see Simple Minds at Roundhay Park. They had a few acts supporting them, Lloyd Cole and the Commotions and the Waterboys. Also Paul Young. He was absolutely terrible. Really disappointed as I bought his debut album. Not good live at all and ended with the crowd booing him off and throwing food and pop bottles at him !

*orkshire rock By *orkshire rock   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

Like I said on the other gig thread, the U2 Elland Road was my worst. Earlier at the gig we were in the stands to watch The Fall, The Mission and The Pretenders who were all pretty good but we decided to go onto the pitch to see U2 to be nearer the stage. As soon as the band walked on stage, the whole crowd on the pitch started jumping up and down, along with bottles and glasses being thrown everywhere, my mate got hit by a bottle and needed attention from first aiders. Not a good memory....

"Never been a Dylan fan really................. Also Paul Young. He was absolutely terrible. Really disappointed as I bought his debut album. Not good live at all and ended with the crowd booing him off and throwing food and pop bottles at him ! "

Saw Paul Young (and StatusQuo! ) at one of the local football / Rugby stadiums (I think it was Whitehaven) sometime in the early 2000's - he was terribe even then - and he was headline act.

The rest of the show was good - Dave Hill from Slade, Motown acts like The Real Thing.

I was surprised actually at how bad he was and gave him the benefit of the doubt that it was an outside gig, the wind was fierce and it rained too. (So the sound may have suffered a bit from all of that.)

XXX pic...
login to view
By *rbital   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

Paul Weller, Played on the Isle of Wight in 2010.

At Carisbrooke castle fields

Really disappointing, played all the tracks off his new album, and about two old hits.

On a brighter note, the Brand new Heavies were great and Imelda May was great.

*adderMax By *adderMax   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

My pal Jerome had an indie band called the sphygs up in Edinburgh..

So we went to see them at club ego up in picardy place there..

He was so fucked on booze and whatever that as he staggered on to play with the band he managed to face plant off the stage without playing a note! ..the rest of the band strummed half heartedly for a bit and when it was clear he wasnt going to get up called it a day lol!

As a post script, that club was gutted by a fire at new year when a thick dj managed to let off outdoor fireworks indoors, set the false ceiling on fire and ended the night in flames!

Legends of the music scene haha!

*orkshire rock By *orkshire rock   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

"My pal Jerome had an indie band called the sphygs up in Edinburgh..

So we went to see them at club ego up in picardy place there..

He was so fucked on booze and whatever that as he staggered on to play with the band he managed to face plant off the stage without playing a note! ..the rest of the band strummed half heartedly for a bit and when it was clear he wasnt going to get up called it a day lol!

As a post script, that club was gutted by a fire at new year when a thick dj managed to let off outdoor fireworks indoors, set the false ceiling on fire and ended the night in flames!

Legends of the music scene haha!

"

Great story

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ominaNatalie   profile verified by photo (F 8 weeks ago

Has to be Kelly Clarkson, the warm up band were on stage longer than she was...

Ooo I just remembered maroon 5 when they first started out back in the day... they ran out of their own songs and started to sing oasis song's.

Both were shit.

By (user no longer on site) 8 weeks ago

Never been to a bad gig went to live aid at Wembley also Queen at Hyde Park absolutely superb

*agman By *agman   profile verified by photo (M) 7 weeks ago

I went to see Hawkwind in Glasgow's Apollo Theatre. (Was the Greens Playhouse, before it became the Apollo)

I love Hawkwind and they were brilliant as usual. (They maybe came to play about three times a year and i went every time).

This time the support act was a guy from Glasgow itself (Although, to me, not known at all until this point in time of seeing him on stage).....he was standing singing and playing acoustic guitar.

I thought he was brilliant as well lol.....I rushed out to buy his album from Listen Records the following day and was not dissapointed either.

I even managed to find out more about him and buy further music he put to record.

Why am i mentioning it on here as a 'bad gig', then?

The support act was a guy called Brian Joseph Friel and as i say i loved his music from then on......but he was not having a great gig at all!

The majority of the audience were here to see Hawkwind only and were giving him a really hard time. Booing, cat calling, throwing stuff up on stage. Maybe i was the only one enjoying his music that night?

He stopped talking to the audience, and stopped introducing songs...........he then turned his back on the audience whilst he unclipped his mic and guitar...........placed the guitar on a stand and said "Good night, Glasgow.........thanks for fuck all!" and waved his hand with his back to us as he walked off stage.

I had a great gig lol...it was he who was having the bad one.

*ormat By *ormat  (M) 7 weeks ago

I saw Gordon Lightfoot once, and came away knowing nothing about his personality that I didn't know before. It was like video jukebox, he just did one song after another, without any interaction with the audience. Pretty boring.

Also saw John Fahey (you can guess, I'm a folkie) who did his classic routine: drink and play until incapable, then leave. He had a pitcher of something, and kept refilling his glass. Somewhere along the way, he abandoned the glass and drank from the pitcher. Then he left. Brilliant while he was still capable, tho!

*adderMax By *adderMax   profile verified by photo (M) 7 weeks ago

There was a very shady dodgy venue called Subway in the Cowgate in Edinburgh that did gigs..

I wasn't at this gig but legend has it that the place was so rough that on one occasion, the lead guitarist of a band got stabbed on the way to the stage!

On another night the manager of one band bit someone's ear off! No idea of the background to that but it made the edinburgh evening news when he got jailed!

Shouldn't laugh really haha!

Add a new message to this topic