New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login613442 members (4 yesterday), private messages

dogging.co.uk > Forums > The lounge > doctors strike

See newest message in thread

doctors strike

XXX pic...
login to view
By *hav02  (M)  over a year ago

@private mail, +add as contact

Without getting too serious, it's dominating the news today.

What do people think here? In support of the docs?

Afterall, they're the ones who will help you at 3am on a Saturday when you've got a vibrator stuck up your shooter lol

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

Afterall, they're the ones who will help you at 3am on a Saturday when you've got a vibrator stuck up your shooter lol"

Speaking from personal experience here are you?

XXX pic...
login to view

"

Afterall, they're the ones who will help you at 3am on a Saturday when you've got a vibrator stuck up your shooter lol

Speaking from personal experience here are you?"

Yeah, um um, someone left it on my desk, and I fell onto it

"Without getting too serious, it's dominating the news today.

Afterall, they're the ones who will help you at 3am on a Saturday when you've got a vibrator stuck up your shooter lol"

On a serious note for once, the doctors are only after more money for working weekends. Other members of the emergency services/military work weekends without extra cash. They are being offered an extra 11% pay rise to compensate for missing Match of the Day.

As for helping when in need, when my mother went to hospital for a check up, the doctor had forgotten to bring her notes and the fuckwit was unable to log into his computer to check her records. She didn't need the new appointment that he arranged, as she died of avoidable complications 5 days later.

The caring profession, don't make me laugh!

XXX pic...
login to view

"Without getting too serious, it's dominating the news today.

On a serious note for once, the doctors are only after more money for working weekends. Other members of the emergency services/military work weekends without extra cash. They are being offered an extra 11% pay rise to compensate for missing Match of the Day.

As for helping when in need, when my mother went to hospital for a check up, the doctor had forgotten to bring her notes and the fuckwit was unable to log into his computer to check her records. She didn't need the new appointment that he arranged, as she died of avoidable complications 5 days later.

The caring profession, don't make me laugh!"

Really sorry to hear about your mother.

But doctors don't fetch notes, administrators do and Hospital IT is riddled with problems.

Plus, doctors already work weekends and it is not a flat 11% pay rise...

Thanks for that info, I'll pass it on to her. Oh, sorry, forgot I can't.

And by the way, junior doctors don't. That's why there are no routine operations at weekends and why you're more likely to die as a result of a Friday op as compared to a Monday op.

XXX pic...
login to view

"And by the way, junior doctors don't. That's why there are no routine operations at weekends and why you're more likely to die as a result of a Friday op as compared to a Monday op."

Again, junior docs do work weekends.

Not intending to argue, i was just interested in peoples views.

However, same number of doctors can't work every single day of the week. If you want extra docs working weekends, less will be working weekdays...

Obv, you can tell I support the Docs politicians don't know what they're talking about!

I am totally neutral. I do not know all the facts and even less would understand them.

I find a caring profession going on strike abhorrent. However perhaps they needed to just to find a voice.

Why is it only England? How do Scotland, NI and Wales manage without these difficulties? Is this another political knee-jerk to statistics that interferes with real work and care and professionalism going on?

I have only ever been in cared for in hospital by the NHS once. Kidney infection two years ago. Compared to my experiences in the United states and Belgium the NHS was top of the tree for care, professionalism, sorting me out and facilities.

I was in Emergency for about two hours, seen dozens of times, my next of kin not harassed for a credit card or means of payment, shunted to acute medical and looked after all through the night and cannot praise it enough.

What a dreadful stateNHS England has got itself into when this happens. It is not about pay. Both sides of the political spectrum are as bad as each other. It is about grey men in grey suits worried about their grey constituency elections and their grey party politics whilst putting the country last and party politics first.

I have no sympathy with the Doctors but for goodness sake when faced with an amoebic mass of grey-suite politics-first waffle just what the hell are they supposed to do?

By *orthen sub girl  (F  over a year ago

Totally in support of the doctors.

As far as I understand the government has suggested the 11% rise on basic pay, which is very misleading. Only just finding out what basic rates are I'm staggered they are so low, considering.

I'm sure I've seen some politician or other suggesting doctors hours won't increase but that does, rather, seem to be bullshit if maths still works the same as when I was at school

I am also in support of the doctors.

Things like this are never what they seem, the government is great at painting a picture of the helpless party.

From what I understand the 11% pay rise is essentially a pay cut. By cutting the higher rates for unsocial hours they basically want to make them work longer shifts and get paid less for the hours they work.

They are striking as they will be at a loss financially but also they understand the risks of working such long hours and the risks to patients as a result.

*rRetour By *rRetour  (M)  over a year ago

"And by the way, junior doctors don't. That's why there are no routine operations at weekends and why you're more likely to die as a result of a Friday op as compared to a Monday op."

The statistics, being mere statistics, have NEVER been able to say what may be behind any increase in weekend mortality, differing staff structure at weekends was the spin put on them by Jeremy Cunt... And now, as a direct result of him, we see patients on a monday who are VERY sick, to the point of no return, who chose not to attend hospital on a friday as they thought they might die at the weekend. They die on a tuesday instead. Never trust a politician, especially a Tory one destroying the NHS as they happen to be Director in a cheeky little private health company... Sorry, rant over, pint, kiss or fuck?..

*aptain_mithras By *aptain_mithras   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

Please read up the FACTS. Nobody is being asked to do more work for no extra money.

The truth is most of us are guilty of thinking "omg doctors - they must have my support" and we immediately assume they are hard done by or not getting a good deal and we feel a bit guilty if we do not side with them and for that reason we dont bother to check the facts!

Incidentally more money is being spent on the NHS now and in the planned future than ever before in it's history especially in the much needed mental health departments.

*agman By *agman   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

I have a sympathy for people who have a genuine claim to something that they feel strongly about - but yet have no voice - or maybe have lots of other voices with their own selfish, or hidden agenda - trying to stop those people from speaking up for something that they, in the end think they need to speak up about.

We can all sit here in our ivory towers and say that they should continue along the negotiation route and not strike.

But..........if those same people who are against the group speaking up, then want to use the same negotiation system to prevaricate and obstruct those voices............and prevent the doctors and nurses from achieving there goal..........

Will someone please suggest what else those doctors (and nurses) should do?

At the same time........why should a doctor (or a nurse) not have the right to request an upgrade in pay, for services rendered?

"Please read up the FACTS. Nobody is being asked to do more work for no extra money.

The truth is most of us are guilty of thinking "omg doctors - they must have my support" and we immediately assume they are hard done by or not getting a good deal and we feel a bit guilty if we do not side with them and for that reason we dont bother to check the facts!

Incidentally more money is being spent on the NHS now and in the planned future than ever before in it's history especially in the much needed mental health departments."

You can say "the facts" and "the truth is" as many times as you want it doesn't strengthen an argument if you don't have one.

I'm not at all guilty of what you believe "most people" are guilty of.

Quote your sources for these 'facts'

It seems logical, to me, that if doctors numbers staff a full 5 day and a part weekend then that same number of doctors then staffing a FULL seven day MUST increase their hours

"Please read up the FACTS. Nobody is being asked to do more work for no extra money.

Incidentally more money is being spent on the NHS now and in the planned future than ever before in it's history especially in the much needed mental health departments."

You can say "the facts" and "the truth is" as many times as you want it doesn't strengthen an argument if you don't have one.

I'm not at all guilty of what you believe "most people" are guilty of.

Quote your sources for these 'facts'

It seems logical, to me, that if doctors numbers staff a full 5 day and a part weekend then that same number of doctors then staffing a FULL seven day MUST increase their hours

*aptain_mithras By *aptain_mithras   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

The details are too lengthy to post on a thread without everyone nodding off. It's easy enough to google and research by anyone who actually wants to know.

The most important change in my opinion is that doctors will have to work shorter hours with fewer consecutive working days which is a big plus for the patients. The doctors dont want this beciause at the moment they can make a bit of a killing (not good for a doctor) by having saturdays as an anti-social working day. It might have been classed as this half a century ago but most jobs involve some weekend work these days which is ok as long as it is spread fairly with time off in lieu. Many workers have to work every Saturday and even Sundays!

A source is not lengthy to post. However, doctors will work shorter hours but more days will be staffed more fully???? How does that work?

*roow By *roow   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

What's very worrying and a scary sign of things to come is Jeremy Cunt simply calling an end to negotiations today and imposing the contract on them full stop.

What's the point of any negotiations when he was always going to do that anyway. Why do you think he hasn't appeared in the press to answer questions. It's quite incredible that not one govt minister or spokesman was available to talk to the press about it yesterday.

By *HIOG  (M)  over a year ago

"The details are too lengthy to post on a thread without everyone nodding off. It's easy enough to google and research by anyone who actually wants to know.

The most important change in my opinion is that doctors will have to work shorter hours with fewer consecutive working days which is a big plus for the patients. The doctors dont want this beciause at the moment they can make a bit of a killing (not good for a doctor) by having saturdays as an anti-social working day. It might have been classed as this half a century ago but most jobs involve some weekend work these days which is ok as long as it is spread fairly with time off in lieu. Many workers have to work every Saturday and even Sundays!"

A shortage of doctors working weekends prevents operations being carried out from Friday to Monday.

Part of the reason why there are not many consultants on duty is the whole problem of operations over the weekend, most consultants would not operate on a Friday because of the cover available for patients and this is what is wrong and The Health Secretary is trying to close the gap.

We all own the NHS and we should all be supporting the fact that monies are wasted in the NHS, if this was a company then it would have gone bust years ago, because it’s a sacred cow NO Government will allow this to happen. We continue to pump more and more money into it and no matter what figure goes in it continues to drip down the drain.

*roow By *roow   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

this is great if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7R3ePHKdiE

"The details are too lengthy to post on a thread without everyone nodding off. It's easy enough to google and research by anyone who actually wants to know.

The most important change in my opinion is that doctors will have to work shorter hours with fewer consecutive working days which is a big plus for the patients. The doctors dont want this beciause at the moment they can make a bit of a killing (not good for a doctor) by having saturdays as an anti-social working day. It might have been classed as this half a century ago but most jobs involve some weekend work these days which is ok as long as it is spread fairly with time off in lieu. Many workers have to work every Saturday and even Sundays!

A shortage of doctors working weekends prevents operations being carried out from Friday to Monday.

Part of the reason why there are not many consultants on duty is the whole problem of operations over the weekend, most consultants would not operate on a Friday because of the cover available for patients and this is what is wrong and The Health Secretary is trying to close the gap.

We all own the NHS and we should all be supporting the fact that monies are wasted in the NHS, if this was a company then it would have gone bust years ago, because it’s a sacred cow NO Government will allow this to happen. We continue to pump more and more money into it and no matter what figure goes in it continues to drip down the drain."

I listened to a spokeswoman for the junior doctors yesterday interviewed on BBC radio and she was completely stymied at every question, The doctors are in a worthy occupation which they are shaming with their irresponsible actions.

MMMM Politics and Religion are really no go areas folks! Unless of course you wish to visit The Bishop!

So can I ask a question... Do any of you who have commented actually work in the NHS? I do and have seen first hand what this (and yes previous governments) have done to OUR NHS.

Yes I'm totally in agreement with the doctor's right to protest and yes strike against this government's refusal to listen to the people who actually work on the front line.

And btw the NHS also has other professionals apart from doctors and nurses! I'm talking about Radiographers, physiotherapists etc who hardly get a mention but without the system would collapse!

Rant over

While i am in agreement that the system needs addressing on how the junior Doctors work in the NHS, i do believe they have a case and riding roughshod over them will backfire.

I have never understood why they are expected to work such long hours, then expected to make life and death decisions with little sleep . Is it no wonder the problems increase at weekends when the support structure to the doctors is at its minimum, the blame is not entirely theirs when system breaks down and patients suffer.

HGV drivers are regulated why not medical staff, but pay a decent salary that reflects the valuable job they do and the demands they work under.

Politicians bang on about their work, yet are only group get massive pay rises

"While i am in agreement that the system needs addressing on how the junior Doctors work in the NHS, i do believe they have a case and riding roughshod over them will backfire.

I have never understood why they are expected to work such long hours, then expected to make life and death decisions with little sleep . Is it no wonder the problems increase at weekends when the support structure to the doctors is at its minimum, the blame is not entirely theirs when system breaks down and patients suffer.

HGV drivers are regulated why not medical staff, but pay a decent salary that reflects the valuable job they do and the demands they work under.

Politicians bang on about their work, yet are only group get massive pay rises "

=

the hours worked by junior doctors is one of the things addressed in the new contract (which have been negotiated endlessly for the past three years) in which the doctors will work fewer 'long' shifts and fewer back to back shifts which will both bring about an easier schedule for doctors and a much safer environment for patients as the 'tired' doctor will be less likely to be working.

It will not be a case of working every Saturday just that the Saturdays will be scheduled into the working week as is the case with most work these days.

"Without getting too serious"

Ha ha ha some hope!

Where do the doctors come from to fill the gaps between made with realignment

And how are they expected to address income reduction when they see politicians increase salary and for a lot less hours worked. They still have bills to pay

The NHS already uses far to many contract nurses and doctors to fill gaps.

The schedules of the present hours are being changed to reflect a society which works at least one Saturday in four as part of a 'normal' week. the doctors will not be working any extra hours. They will not be working so many long days. they will not have to endure the back to back days which tire them and endanger patients.

they will get a reasonably good payrise though.

*rRetour By *rRetour  (M)  over a year ago

Who IS going to pick up the extra then?...(I'm loathe to use the term 7 Day NHS, as we already have a 7 day nhs).... I know!!! Weekend cover will be provided by Tory-owned private medical companies....then they can take over monday through friday too!!

By *onnor  (M)  over a year ago

"Who IS going to pick up the extra then?...(I'm loathe to use the term 7 Day NHS, as we already have a 7 day nhs).... I know!!! Weekend cover will be provided by Tory-owned private medical companies....then they can take over monday through friday too!! "

That must be why you've a much higher chance of dying if you're admitted over the weekend then.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ullmember   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

"

We all own the NHS and we should all be supporting the fact that monies are wasted in the NHS, if this was a company then it would have gone bust years ago, because it’s a sacred cow NO Government will allow this to happen. We continue to pump more and more money into it and no matter what figure goes in it continues to drip down the drain."

.....and if you look into things (rubbish skips?) at NHS hospitals you will see the waste in the form of desks, chair, cabinets and computer screens which are thrown away annually because there's still money left in the administration budget which can't be carried over.

Furthermore in one North West hospital they've actually brought in a manager to manage the manager who manages the managers who manage the admin and maintenance staff.

Viz.

manager (new appointment last year)

manager (existing still in post)

manager manager manager

admin staff maintenance section

That would be why the safeguards that discourage management from making doctors work dangerously long hours have been removed then?

EWTD limits worktime to 48hsr/wk unless an opt-out has been signed. Those not signing can only be allowed to work an average of 48hrs/wk. Those signing work an average of 60hrs/wk, under the new terms they would be in the 90-100 hrs/wk range.

The "pay rise" of 11% is offered to increase the pay that has been reduced by 26% by re-assigning "antisocial" work times (some pay will be down 25% even with the 11% pay rise)

This comes on top of other work-increasing problems, such as local councils reducing social work provisions (local sw dept staff down by 75%)(staff dealing with homeless children down by 100%, dept run by two managers!!). All this means that hospitals are seeing an increase in visits...(Oh, and the provision of free sexual health advice and condoms is by the council also down. By 100%)

Meanwhile, with hospital depts, such as pathology, also down-staffing, or being "contracted out" to various private companies (which employ the ex-nhs staff....at lower pay and other minor things such as pension contribs being lower) (no nhs staff who leave are transferring their pension).

It's all fun and games in the nhs now....

Did I mention that "our" ICU is half-full of private healthcare cock-ups?

Well, since the privvy mob don't do expensive their mess has to be handled somewhere...

Similar for the scanning dept....you may have to wait for the paying patients to be seen first..

Then there is the result of all the "free nhs healthchecks"...well, free to patients. An increase of people being referred for AAA treatment is one result of it all. Except there are no treatment facilities for them....too full/too poorly staffed/refer to outside "providers" (refer back to my comment on ICU being used for free as cock-up-last-resort) (and when/if they get out, they end-up in the wards again...

win-win for one.

Lose-lose for everyone else.

"The schedules of the present hours are being changed to reflect a society which works at least one Saturday in four as part of a 'normal' week. the doctors will not be working any extra hours. They will not be working so many long days. they will not have to endure the back to back days which tire them and endanger patients.

they will get a reasonably good payrise though."

Correct

XXX pic...
login to view

Imposition was always going to happen.

You've got to remember, Doctors are probably the most brightest, intellectual and physically skilled people in society - they are trained to read and interpret data on a daily basis - and that includes interpreting constructs in a contract.

If the contract was really beneficial, then the striking ballot would have been more 50/50.

With the new contract, docs will alledgedly work few long hour shifts per week (totally fucking up their sleep patterns!). However, this means the same workload will be done by less doctors.

Nurses have lost their bursaries, and the consultant contract will be up for reform next.

Fundamentally, there are economists & politicians analysing the NHS workforce and trying to make numbers match when they're not listening to frontline staff who are saying, they need more doctors and nurses...

I could go on... but i'll hit snoozeville...

"and the consultant contract will be up for reform next. "

To be frank, the consultants contracts should have been sorted out before the doctors contracts. Evere since the NHS came into existance, the entire way that it has been run has revolved around consultants. The main reason that we have the weekend working practices we have now is because of consultants (loads of money to made at BUPA over the weekends). The way that consultants work should of been changed years ago and should certainly have been sorted out before any change to way Junior doctors work.

There is always a problem with imposition though, and it is employment law and common law:

"Therefore, where fundamental changes to the detriment of employees are proposed, and are not authorised by the contract, an employer may seek to vary the contract in one of three ways:

Seeking the employee's express agreement to the new terms, through consultation (either on an individual basis or through collective agreement);

Unilaterally imposing the change and relying on the employee's conduct to establish implied agreement to the change.

*Terminating the employee's employment and offering re-employment on the new terms*

An express agreement is the most effective way to vary a contract of employment. Therefore, obtaining the employees’ agreement to the changes is usually the first and most straightforward option for employers. However, where employees refuse to expressly agree to a change, an employer’s next best option is to terminate the current contract and offer to re-engage the employees on the new terms and conditions"

At the moment, it looks as if termination of employment is on the cards...

"and the consultant contract will be up for reform next.

To be frank, the consultants contracts should have been sorted out before the doctors contracts. Evere since the NHS came into existance, the entire way that it has been run has revolved around consultants. The main reason that we have the weekend working practices we have now is because of consultants (loads of money to made at BUPA over the weekends). The way that consultants work should of been changed years ago and should certainly have been sorted out before any change to way Junior doctors work."

If you had been paying attention, you would have noticed that the consultant contract negotiations are running parallel with the junior doctors contract. All detail is available on the BMA website, most of it in public view.

All the consultants at my hospital are available 24/7/365. Even if at home, they are only a call away.

XXX pic...
login to view

To be frank, the consultants contracts should have been sorted out before the doctors contracts. Evere since the NHS came into existance, the entire way that it has been run has revolved around consultants. The main reason that we have the weekend working practices we have now is because of consultants (loads of money to made at BUPA over the weekends). The way that consultants work should of been changed years ago and should certainly have been sorted out before any change to way Junior doctors work.

If you had been paying attention, you would have noticed that the consultant contract negotiations are running parallel with the junior doctors contract. All detail is available on the BMA website, most of it in public view.

All the consultants at my hospital are available 24/7/365. Even if at home, they are only a call away."

Very true. Yes there are money-hungry consultants, and there are very charitable consultants, but that is just human nature.

It's just impossible for anyone to expect the same one doctor to be available beck and call 24/7.

In simple terms:

You run a car factory, it takes a team of 10 workers to make 1 car/hour, but they only work Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. That's 40 cars per week; and these workers are working flat out, no lunches either!

Suddenly you say that's not right - customers want to buy cars weekends too! So you say, you want them to work Saturday & Sunday too, but you haven't got the extra capital to do it. You want to extend their hours blah blah blah..

Anyone see the problem?

"There is always a problem with imposition though, and it is employment law and common law:

"Therefore, where fundamental changes to the detriment of employees are proposed, and are not authorised by the contract, an employer may seek to vary the contract in one of three ways:

Seeking the employee's express agreement to the new terms, through consultation (either on an individual basis or through collective agreement);

Unilaterally imposing the change and relying on the employee's conduct to establish implied agreement to the change.

*Terminating the employee's employment and offering re-employment on the new terms*

An express agreement is the most effective way to vary a contract of employment. Therefore, obtaining the employees’ agreement to the changes is usually the first and most straightforward option for employers. However, where employees refuse to expressly agree to a change, an employer’s next best option is to terminate the current contract and offer to re-engage the employees on the new terms and conditions"

At the moment, it looks as if termination of employment is on the cards..."

Correct

All the consultants at my hospital are available 24/7/365. Even if at home, they are only a call away."

Correct

"Correct"

If it's correct, perhaps you might like to explain why "Routine" surgery is not usually performed from about 6pm on a Friday until about 6am on a Monday in nearly all the hospitals in the West Midlands ?

XXX pic...
login to view

"Correct

If it's correct, perhaps you might like to explain why "Routine" surgery is not usually performed from about 6pm on a Friday until about 6am on a Monday in nearly all the hospitals in the West Midlands ?"

(1) operating at midnight is unsafe (ref.NCEPOD)

(2) you need aaaaallllll the other staff to facilitate a "routine" operation (common sense)

Not only a full surgical team, but anaesthetist/s etc.

Then bloods need to be provided, so pathology needs to be staffed.

Recovery needs staff, HD and IC are fully staffed anyway ( there are frequent admissions to both following problems at several private hospitals nearby)

The problem is, and it has been mentioned many times, there is insufficient resource to staff theatre AND have the backup available, for all seven days. Hell, there is barely enough to cope with 5 days, and that is dropping.

hopefully the paperwork will arrive, sometimes it doesn't. It would be nice if primary care record systems could be interrogated from secondary.....still, it's getting there. You can even call up imaging most times, when the dyetem is up...mind, if it is down at weekend it takes a day to get the IT team in...shit appens. Now, if the trust hadn't been saddled with 24 million quid at 12% for the hospital ....as I said: shit appens

I would be far more concerned about going into a private hospital. 800 people died unexpectedly and a further 921 suffered serious injury following private medical treatment.

Private hospitals rarely have intensive care beds, dedicated resuscitation teams and the surgeons and anaesthetists often work in isolation.

When things go wrong in private hospitals, patients are often transferred to the NHS to pick up the pieces with 2,600 patients transferred as emergencies and 6,000 patients moved in total. Be careful what you wish for people, ask yourself how do private hospitals make a profit????

Add a new message to this topic